1 ) Beware of companies trying to sell expensive SEO (Search Engine Optimization or ranking) packages. Many of these companies will try to sell you these based on their “special relationship” with google. NO company has a special relationship with google and the search engine companies dont give away the secrets to getting to the top of their listings. Remember that the most important SEO you can do yourself.
2 ) If you create a new post or release a new product remember to spread the word. Sites like Digg, Reddit and Twitter can really help you get a better pressence on the web!
3 ) Create a free add for your company on Gumtree.
4 ) Buy some additional URL’s (web addresses) that relate to specific pages on your website and point them there.
5 ) If you insist on having a fancy flash intro to your webpage remember to have a standard HTML “skip intro” link. Chances are that 99 people out of 100 don’t want to see your intro so don’t waste their time. Also remember that flash won’t play on many modern phones and pads which severely limits the people who can view your content.
6) Give something away for free, post up some useful information on your expert subject so that people will spread it around the internet for you. (just like I’m doing now… please spread this post amunst your friends!)
7 ) Is it time for a redesign? Does your web page look old and outdated? If you think that then your clients will too! Remember to always take your website project to a professional who can be objective. If you are not a designer don’t try to be, getting to involved with the design process could mean you ger a website which only looks beautiful in your eyes (so let the experts do their job… its what your paying them for). Check out this cartoon for a funny parody of what I’m talking about!
8 ) Consider these free ways to market your website
- Twitter – Sign up and tell people about what you do
- Facebook – Get a page for your business
- Forums – Are their any forums for your business online. Get involved with their community and try to drop your web address into conversation
- Youtube – Consider making a short video about your products and place them online. Everyone loves watching videos!
- Add “tweet this” and “like this” buttons to your website. Get your clients to assist in your marketing
9 ) Make your site as easy to use as possible. The “three click” rule is a bit outdated but the principle still works. Don’t let your users get lost in a sea of links that don’t lead anywhere. Old sites with outdated content often need regular pruning to stop this from happening.
10 ) Set up a mailing list and engage with your clients. Free mailing list software can be found at mailchimp.com, its a fantastic service. You can even get a signup box on your homepage!
11 ) Get non bias people to look at your website and pass comment on its design and content. Remember the number 1 rule,
“Your website was not built for you! It was built for your clients!”
Your mother/farther/husband/wife/brother/sister do not count as unbiased, try speaking to a focus group of your clients or a professional consultant.
12 ) If you can afford it get a professional copywriter to write your website content. Your users will hate waffle and a good copywriter will do a great job of polishing your text based content.